Chilean art of theft

The reason? Years and years of rubbish government in a country that hasn’t morally or intellectually advanced in 100 years.

An Own Goal by a group of Chilean shoplifters in California. They were caught when they tried to smash the window of their rented auto after they had locked themselves out.

Criminals managed to steal from a company located on La Polvora road, Valparaíso, more than 600 million pesos in TVs. According to police records, part of the company’s guards would be involved.

A huge construction crane was stolen. Physical size clearly doesn’t deter thieves.

The best Chilean theft of all time… Oldie, but still a classic!
A stolen, flaming, train…

Reported cable theft incidents up over 300% this year. Combine that with the increasing number of traffic accidents where the roadside posts that carry power and data cables are damaged…

and just after writing that last comment…

Very similar ones:

We are going to hell.

In the first story they torch 4 poor cars and block route 5 for the heady sum of 3 million CLP. Ffs

In the second they torch 2 cars for some amazing wonderful x factor bearing…phones and ipads. Again a hearty Ffs.

I just have to complain that there is no art in these thefts. No je ne sais pas …no elegance. Its very crude…the whole burning rubber/plastic/metal decoy for some trifling and I do mean trifling amount of crap.

They might as well use grenades for taking care of the dandelions in the yard.

This lot gives hard working, diligent, innovative, cajones of copper thieves a bad rap.

Couldnt they at least have burned cars on the US west coast I-5 after flying there so they could steal the free bananas at Amazon’s HQ. Baahahhahaha

Sigh…

1. Man rents a car
  2. Man makes key copies
  3. Man sells car via social media
  4. Man follows car after payment
  5. Man steals car
  6. Man repeats steps above

And, just up the road from us, there was an armed robbery at the Andino Museum at Santa Rita Vineyards:https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/nacional/region-metropolitana/2022/06/06/museo-andino-por-violento-robo-de-100-piezas-de-arte-su-valor-es-absolutamente-patrimonial.shtml

Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of pisco.

And from the same neck of the woods, electricity theft blows up a distribution transformer, leaving consumers without electricity for 4 days.

A different kind of theft. The largest calefont company, Junkers-Bosch, manufactures a model that is crappy and not designed to last more than 4-5 years. They sell it to construction companies under a different brand name (Neckar). The calefont craps out in late fall. You call the number on the calefont to get service. The repair cost is almost as much as buying a new one, so you decide to buy a new one rather than repair a piece of crap that will break again in a few months. Hmm, Junkers-Bosch is the best known brand and is on sale (same company but better product, we had one that lasted forever where we used to live). You buy what is available due to supply chain disruptions, because showering with freezing water is terrible and have to pay Junkers for the installation.

Nice little racket they have going on. No wonder there are several places in town offering to recycle used calefonts. According to the repair guy all newer houses have that brand.

Judge allegedly caught shoplifting…

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Well, my husband is back home from work after dealing with the Carabineros for almost an hour. He is mainly still telecommuting, but has to go to the office on occasion. This morning he showed up and realized that the padlocks securing the gate had been cut. They had cut one of the locks holding the metal security curtain in place but not the second for some reason. They tried to unsuccessfully force the curtain. They also broke several lights that are always on at night, I guess to be less visible.The cops found pasta base and a lighter by the entrance that might have belonged to the people who tried to break in.

He had gone in yesterday and there were two sketchy guys hanging out in front of the building. Now he wonders if they were scoping things out to prepare their break-in.

I find it kind of ironic that my husband works for a government office!

He’s wondering if they will come back over the weekend to finish the job because there is now only one lock and it was not possible to pull the curtain back down due to the damage it sustained. There’s not really much worth stealing, to be honest. The computers they use are ancient. There’s a new printer, though. And, they will probably pull out the copper internet cables again.

We see a lot of this, so know your flaite:
These aren’t professional crims, so are easily spotted.

Wear dark clothing and trainers.
Age range 16-30, male.
Usually with face mask and hood up.
Loitering close to buildings of interest, in ones or twos.
Mostly come out after dark.
Often scanning traffic (for cop cars)
At times knock on doors to check for presence of inhabitants.
Sometimes they chalk mark premises.
Furtive behaviour, tend to head off when their presence is noted.
Chile is full of them.
delis

2 Likes

Yeah, that was a good description of what he saw. I remember when he got home on the day before the break-in, he said he stayed in the car with the doors locked until they finally moved along. He did not like the look of them at all!