Why you need to scrutinize the label

I will start with Heinz ketchup and Hellmann’s mayo.

There is Heinz ketchup on the shelf from both the USA and Mexico. The USA crap has HFCS, the Mexico one where that ingredient is prohibited has basic sugar.

Hellmann’s mayo, almost all in Chile has toxic soy oil EXCEPT the one container that is from Argie that is safflower oil.

Please add your observations for other products

2 Likes

Oh where to begin. Yes very astute on the scrutiny of labels. Easy to think the same brand is the same…but no

Mayo…such a sad state of affairs. We are considering making our own mayo where we dont use any PUFA oil as the base. It is annoying that Waitrose and other upper market mayo brands say and advert “made with eggs” or “made with olive oil”, but it just means they added some of that into the vegetable/seed oil.

We dont eat much mayo, but when we do…its to make tuna fish or egg/pasta/potato salad.
Interesting combo that kida works is avocado to replace mayo with tunafish, it sounds bad but it really does work…at least for tuna…

There are also pretty great homeade whole mayo recipes on YouTube.

Another few real baddies that are standard fare in chile

BHT and TBHQ

So so bad preservatives but in even store bought packaged bread, chips, just everything

Another is Tartarazine aka FD&C yellow number 5
This is totally outlawed in the EU because its so bad
But its in almost all pacakaged candy

There are bad processed ingredients and then there are the heavy hitters like BHT and TBHQ.

1 Like

A word of encouragement…take your time reading labels in the store. Dont let people rush you.

Off topic, but, by all means learn to make your own – whenever possible. Minimize all sorts of processed foods and try to buy just very basic ingredients and prepare what you want. Of course not always possible…

All sorts of seemingly innocent things may now contain what they didn’t just months ago, manufacturers have to be creative not to increase prices (decrease the package weight). I"d say, cheese. When there is anything that beats the market – look closer. I see all sorts of weird things, like palm oil and 3 to 5 additional components that shouldn’t be there. Or butter (vegetable oil added).

1 Like

And the following products, if they are not lying, contain no “ingredients” – just flour, and just yeast (they claim only sunflower oil added).

selecta
collico

Unlike the “harina integral” by the same brand (“selecta”) – which is for some reason “enriched” with all sorts of shit (like the normal white flour). Some time ago I inquired about this sort of stupidity and their competitor said that they (“harina integral” by selecta) “didn’t qualify” for the real “integral” – so they “had to” add the vitamin complex to qualify. A bit beyond my understanding…

Anyway this new “whole grain” on photo has no ingredients listed. And so I make bread from these (as for the rye bread I brew my own starter).

2 Likes

I have wondered if at some point they just start leaving off ingredients. Oopsie. Did i do dat?

Of course there is also the rule that if s product has less than 2% of something its ok to ignore that on the ingredient list. That seems to be everywhere(not just Chile)that mandates declared ingredients on food.
Guess its too much work/time/bother to be exhaustive on ingredient lists…if its only 1 or 2% meh…bah…who cares :poop:

Yeah. I make my own fermented foods like yogurt and sauerkraut. I used to make more bread. I probably should get back into that too. Homemade yogurt has uses similar to mayonnaise, so I use it a lot in sauces, sometimes with a bit of mayo.

1 Like

Wait, wait, wait, wait hold the fooooone.

I make a LOT of bread and for years have been hunting non-“enriched” flour. I have gone as far to directly speaking with flour importers and regional distributors. All of them have stated (and continue to state) that it is by Chilean law that they must enrich it. I buy flour by the 25 kg sacks.

Where and/or how did you find pure non-“enriched” flour???

The wholegrain wheat flour branded selecta ( brand owner Carozzi) as on the photo is available locally either in Jumbo or Hiper Lider but the price seems to increase regularly, like once a week.

The “harina integral” available at certain small shops locally maybe also good as they (the shops) claim they make it on their own equipment and package themselves.

There is no regular (white) flour available that is not enriched but the rye flour and the oat flour (I brew starters from each of these) are clean and are available either at small shops around the market area or you can find them (quite overpriced) at Jumbo’s.

The “wholgrain” as on the photo is a relatively new product (like several months ago I saw it for the first time).

And to repeat, the “harina integral” by the same brand (“selecta”) – is not clean and is “enriched”.

The exemption is granted because of the “wholegrain” or “integral” status – but the grand stupidity is that the majority of commercially available packaged integral flours are enriched anyway…

2 Likes

To others please vote this UP like I did.

https://www.provimarket.com/

In the 5th region they sell it now at 1.290 clp beating the jumbo price:

I use Greek yogurt instead of mayo to make tuna salad. But I have to admit that I did not read the label for Greek yogurt in Chile :slight_smile: TP

I used to like the Hellman’s Supreme classic. Now looking at the ingredients online it says sunflower and soy. :face_with_diagonal_mouth: I guess no more of that for me.

Lately we are buying a brand called Ybarra, imported from Spain. I just checked the label and it is sunflower, not soy. We buy it at that supermarket Cugat that opened up here a little while back. I’m not sure where else it is available.

Actually as I wrote above, there is one in a smaller container that is from Argentina that does not have soy oil. All the Chile versions AFAIK have always had soy oil.

1 Like

The Argentina origin Hellmans

1 Like

Thanks. I will keep an eye out. I don’t recall seeing that here.

Just yeast…

So, trying to find out if I can cultivate yeast, like I brew my rye flour starter, at home – here is an interesting quote from one of the official documents – many thanks to my curiosity. This is the most recent Russian industrial specs for manufacturing bakers yeast.

just this

INTERSTATE STANDARD “GOST” 171-2015
PRESSED BAKERY YEAST
Specifications

4.2 Requirements for raw materials

To obtain bakery pressed yeast, the following raw materials are used:

• pure cultures of yeast strains Saccharomyces cerevisiae;
  • beet molasses;
  • raw molasses;
  • ammonium sulfate according to GOST 3769;
  • technical ammonium sulfate obtained in the production of sulfur dioxide;
  • ammonium sulfate purified according to GOST 10873;
  • ammonium hydroorthophosphate brand A;
  • ammonia water technical grade B (for industry) according to GOST 9;
  • carbamide according to GOST 2081;
  • technical diammonium phosphate (for the food industry) according to GOST 8515, GOST 19651 grades 4 and 6;
  • phosphomine;
  • growth substances;
  • drinking water according to GOST 2874;
  • thermal phosphoric acid according to GOST 10678;
  • potassium carbonate technical (potash) in accordance with GOST 10690 of the first grade;
  • potassium chloride according to GOST 4568;
  • magnesium sulfate 7-water according to GOST 4523;
  • magnesium chloride technical (bischofite) in accordance with GOST 7759;
  • epsomite;
  • caustic magnesite powder according to GOST 1216;
  • condensed corn extract;
  • dethiobiotin CTD;
  • technical sulfuric acid according to GOST 2184 (contact improved grades A and B) or battery acid according to GOST 667;
  • malts extract;
  • brewing barley malt according to GOST 29294;
  • sylvinite;
  • chemically precipitated chalk according to GOST 8253;
  • potato starch according to GOST 7699;
  • edible salt GOST 13830;
  • D-biotin;
  • cotton filter belting according to GOST 332;
  • defoamers;
  • plasticizers;
  • medical hygroscopic cotton wool according to GOST 5564;
  • medical gauze according to GOST 9412;
  • structol;
  • emulsifiers;
  • technical oleic acid (olein) according to GOST 7580; brands B14 and B16;
  • technical oleic acid (olein) grade “O” or grade OM;
  • distilled fatty acids of sunflower and soybean oils;
  • a mixture of distilled fatty acids of olive and mustard oils;
  • refined cottonseed oil according to GOST 1128;
  • baker’s phosphatide concentrate;
  • sunflower oil according to GOST 1129;
  • detergents and disinfectants;
  • technical detergents with a disinfecting effect based on hydrogen peroxide and peracetic acid;
  • calcium hypochlorite;
  • sodium hypochlorite according to GOST 11086;
  • lime chloride according to GOST 1692;
  • building lime according to GOST 9179;
  • bleaching lime (heat-resistant);
  • technical caustic soda according to GOST 2263;
  • soda ash (technical) according to GOST 5100;
  • formalin technical according to GOST 1625;
  • food lactic acid according to GOST 490;
  • boric acid according to GOST 9656;
  • nitric acid according to GOST 4461;
  • hydrogen peroxide according to GOST 177;
  • furatsilin;
  • sulfonic acid;
  • auxiliary technological tool “Betasept”;
  • catapin (bactericidal);
  • potassium permanganate technical according to GOST 5777;
  • potassium iodide - qualifications “pure for analysis” and “chemically pure”;
  • hydrochloric acid synthetic technical in accordance with GOST 857;
  • calcium pantothenate;
  • racemic calcium pantothenate for animal husbandry;
  • technical hydrochloric acid;
  • hydrochloric acid from rectified hydrogen chloride grade B.

It is allowed to use other raw materials and materials permitted for use in the yeast industry, according to characteristics that are not inferior to the above.

So – just yeast. No ingredients whatsoever. :wink: