20 years in Chile

Wow. Today marks 20 years since I moved to Chile. I don’t think I ever thought I would be here so long. Where’s my award? I think I deserve one with all we have been through these past three years.

6 Likes

You made me realize it’s 30 years since I first visited Chile, in 1992, I didn’t stay there, of course, but spent a lot of time going back and forth. I made 2 attempts at staying there long-term, but they didn’t work out: I found Chile too small and too isolated (and too closed) for me to progress professionally there. I’m sure I’ll be back, maybe even to work there for a while, but I don’t really see it as a long-term destination for myself anymore.

I don’t think we get prizes for this, just surviving Chile is achievement enough, but congratulations for managing 20 years! Maybe you could write a potted history of your trajectory in Chile.

1 Like

You both deserve something. I don’t know what. But something…

2 Likes

Nah, it is called “El Pago de Schiiiile” and even BO’Higgins found out what that was…

Me, since May 2001 :cocktail: :wine_glass: :beer:

2 Likes

Good for you gringalais!!! Just past a decade myself and if I had to sum it up in one sentence it would be “You really have to want to be here” :wink: What would you say?

2 Likes

Multi decaders are rare birds and a stunning achievement!

Just out of curiosity do you and your husband plan to stay in chile forever? (Buried here).
We are considering the implications of the same and appreciate other perspectives

1 Like

Actually, might be a good to create a separate topic about death in Chile.

Personally, my Mom knows I will be buried here and did not buy space at the family plot in So Cal for me.

2 Likes

Chile: It chewed me up and spit me out but I am still here! :rofl: I am nothing if not stubborn.

1 Like

My husband is Chilean and his career is not exactly portable. I met him some years after I moved here. We are here for the foreseeable future, but we may go somewhere else in South America for retirement. Nothing is set in stone yet. I do not have any plans to move back to the U.S., though, and he has no desire to live there.

Salud to you eeuu!

2 Likes

Mucha’ Gracia’

Twenty years in Chile calls for a free psychiatric evaluation.

Indeed, but when I look and see how much the US has changed and see how even UK and EUlandia and similar places are faring these days, the crazy people are all of us who incarnated during this time onto this planet’s plane of existence.

1 Like

I believe that there is an axiom which posits that on a global basis, the works of the Four Horsemen of Stupidity, Incompetence, Malice, and Fried Empanadas are not evenly distributed.