Who will you be voting for this Presidential election?

I am actually still indecisive. Might not make a final decision until I am in the booth.

But rest assured that I will vote!

I know very clearly who I don’t want, but keep going back and forth between 2 options in my head as far as who I will vote for. I may decide in the booth, too. I guess on Saturday I need to look at the congressional options.

My husband and I used to have the same polling location, but now they moved his to a completely different area of our relatively large municipality. It’s probably going to take us a while to get to both places and vote.

At least it looks like Karina Oliva’s political career is done with after recent revelations. I get the impression she wants to get elected to something just to not have to get a real job! It doesn’t help she looks almost exactly like a creepy former neighbor of mine.

Nice to “see” you around scandinavian!

1 Like

Re congressional options, for those in the RM check out Vero Pardo for senate

She is in the centre left bloc but independent candidate

It’s the rare case of a politician who gets climate change but is actually fairly centrist and moderate in other ways

Independent level headed candidate. I went and met her and had lunch with her a few weeks ago and she is very nice, more like a normal person that a politician if that makes sense.

Programa - VerĂłnica Pardo or see her facebook, instagram or twitter

I don’t want to go into details of my private conversation with her but let’s just say that I suspect if Boric wins people like her will be able to carry forward his program in the senate but also moderate a little bit if needs be. In a TV interview, she didn’t want to say if she was voting Provoste or Boric and I think that tells you where her politics is. In between those two.

Well if more don’t vote, this is saying that the K man will have a landslide vote in regards to expat residents…

Ejercito already on the school grounds (my voting location is in direct view from a window of the depto).

can we do a poll for “Who do you think will win?” Afterwards we can see how close our little hive mind comes to the larger hive mind. I don’t know how to do a poll so maybe someone who does can do it?

Scandinavian, If you read the Guardian and the Economist, the combined picture of the two is fairly unbiased. You have to create an account for the latter to sign in to get a limited amount of articles, but you don´t have to give credit card details or pay anything.

The Economist has just published 3 articles about Chile:

Chile’s voters are on the verge of a terrible mistake refers to the constitution as a “theatre of wokeness”, and views both Boric and Kast as “extremists”. It says that “It is high time for Chileans to come to their senses” by voting for Sichel or Provoste saying either of these two “especially Ms Provoste, would offer hope that Chile can draw back from its dangerous polarisation and find a new consensus.” Just my personal suspicion, but I suspect its lean to Provoste here is a recognition of the fact that a right wing candidate can´t really fix the divisiveness due to the power of the 2019 protests, debates about neoliberalism/inequality, and the shadow of Piñera. It has to be centre or centre left - for now to be not divisive - again just my opinion. I suspect Sichel, a centre right with socially liberal views, would have been the ideal candidate for the Economist were it not for the protests of 2019 and the possibility they will get going again if a right candidate wins. Unusual for the Economist to slightly back a left candidate, especially in South America.

Another one here:

And here:

Haven´t read these two as ran out of free articles after the first one.

1 Like

Hi Mendoza formerly known as Britkid :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I read the Economist as well. Completely agree that is important to read / hear opinions from all sides of the political spectre. My point is more that, that particular journalist from The Guardian has a very strong left leaning bias in his articles. As he is the main Guardian voice in Chile, it gives a disturbed view, in my opinion.

I see the vocales milling around waiting for their orientation, many brought their little ones.

This morning on TV I saw the police theatrically bashing down the doors of the Partido Comunes. Now, a few questions I have about this:

Why did they do this one day before the election?
Why did they feel the need to invite so many media and camera people? They must have been invited, otherwise how would they have known to be there?
Why did they bother with so much force and weaponry? Did they really think Partido Comunes were waiting inside armed with grenades and automatics?

To me it seems the logical answer is that this has to be an attempt to influence the elections. Desperation from those in power about the way things are going.

It would be very interesting to know who was behind this.

They are putting in the minds of the people watching TV the same kind of images you see when police go after criminals. Perhaps they are trying to sow the seed in people´s minds that Partido Comunes is entirely corrupt, or that left parties are corrupt, or even just the general idea that all politics are corrupt as a vote suppression tactic. I hope people are not going to fall for it. It looks like Karina Oliva is in real trouble but that doesn´t mean all politicians are corrupt.

I hope people here are smart enough to be very suspicious of anything in the news 1 week or even 1 day before an election. Judge the parties and the people on what they have done in the last years.

Poll closes in less than 12 hours. We now have 7 votes. Vote!!

Thanks all for participating on this thread. I guess 8 votes will be it and nada mĂĄs.

I will call it a night and perhaps post before I go vote.

I have been here 20 years. I lived in Santiago Centro on calle Tarapaca in a high-rise near Santa Rosa and saw the Penguin and other protests and at the other end of seriousness, the celebration of the Olympic tennis victory of González & Massú. I moved to the coast and experienced the 8.8 February 27, 2010 earthquake in the NE corner of the maximum shake zone, Then I experienced the estallido social and saw how this pure human caused event was more damaging to Chile than an 8.8 mega-quake not to mention the fear in those initial days that our condo building of mid to upper-mid class persons might become a target of this supposed so-called revolution of the oppressed people. Then I lived through two years of this shit of our area losing supermarkets, multitudes of small businesses, banking branches, street lights, bus stops, other public infrastructure not to mention all the ugly graffiti in all parts all due to orcs that were obviously organized in an organized to unorganized way (many imported from Santiasco and similar areas for this purpose) and not the spontaneous result of “peaceful” protests as the media always said. And yes, you can say the weak-assed Piñera gov used the COVID wea to damper this mierda but thank god for that respite. And then the embarrassment of the wea circus Constitutional Convention confirmed what many of us perceived with all this “aprueba” of a new constitution crap.

It is up to you to connect the dots and vote whatever way you want. This vote (specifically the second vote which is likely) may be the last real vote for awhile if history repeats given the certain actors who may win.

I’m sure many expats have the luxury of fleeing if the medium to long tern shows they voted wrong. But some like me are here for the long term fight.

But whatever, do vote your conscience.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 46 days. New replies are no longer allowed.